Pal Optical was founded in 1955 by Dr. Herman Abel and his wife, Hennie, who was a licensed optician. Dr. Abel brought his family from Louisville and started the business on Main Street. The company was operated with the optical store located on the main level and the doctor's office located upstairs. There was a mechanical chairlift that carried patients up to the doctor's waiting area.
A second location was opened in Lexington Mall in 1980. This store did not contain an in-house lab, and the glasses were transported to the Main Street location for fabrication. By 1984, the Lexington Mall location had become more favored by the patient base, and the decision was made to close the Main Street location and relocate everything to Lexington Mall.
In 1976, Dr. Abel hired a new optometrist, Dr. Steven Klecker, to assist with the optometry practice. Dr. Klecker worked at the downtown location, as well as Lexington Mall, and eventually became a partner and then owner of the optometry practice located beside Pal Optical. Just as Dr. Abel had done in 1976, in 2005, Dr. Klecker hired a new optometrist, Dr. Kathryn Robbins. She possesses a special attribute—she is also his daughter.
In 2002, Pal Optical was again relocated to Woodhill Circle Plaza where it remains today. The optometrists, Dr. Klecker and Dr. Robbins, are located in the same suite. Pal Optical is now managed by licensed optician, Linda Gilliam, who has been an employee since May of 1984.